The Manilla Envelope
Monday, April 12, 2004
 
A Rant About Music

Everyone's into it, everyone wants it but does it want them?

Gonna come off like a complete snob but really I'm a pussycat. I know people who make showing their nostrils a career, who will not hesitate to kick the puppy who is raving about the latest release. They humour no-one. They tend to be the people I work with in a record shop.

My point is that if someones really into something and they're passionate about it then I respect that, even if I think it is a load of tedious crap. For example the Scissor Sisters who, from what I've heard sound like a bad cabaret act whose music appeals to over the hill music industry people who remember the eighties. Give me the early trashy years of Madonna any day (they don't really sound similar but thats the point). But if you feel those crazy siblings really speak to you then don't get upset just because I or whoever else disagree. Tell me off and say that you like them for their camp sense of fun and wacky costumes and I'm just a cynical loser who memorises release dates and thinks he knows the difference between a producer and an engineer.

I suppose that the revealing your favourite new band is quite a serious thing. A way of getting to know someone, a kind of intimacy between two music geeks. Its an admirable to tell someone what you have been living your life by for the last few weeks or months. But having opened up your heart, don't expect anyone to empathise, especially not the proffessional critics who work in record shops. Subjectivity isn't a new idea.

Basically what I want to see is more people having fights about who is better The Darkness or Def Leppard in Camden pubs. No contest. I believe in a thing called love.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Sort of brown, sort of made of paper Under the counter Music/Film/Media observations and attempts at humour.


Click Here


::CONTENT::

 

Playlists

 

Hitchcock

 

DVDs

 

Offence

 

Travel Pt.I Toronto/Niagra/Detroit

 

Travel Pt.II Chicago

 

Travel Pt.III Boston


ARCHIVES

December 2003 / January 2004 / March 2004 / April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / April 2005 / June 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 /

Powered by Blogger